Topics

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Shader upgrades ^^

Necessity can be a great motivator. A recent freelance opportunity meant I had to create much faster shaders to get the job done in time. I dove head first into VEX code writing for the first time, and managed to adapt Sean O'Neil's real-time atmospheric scattering algorithm into my new Earth shaders.

My method uses the CPU instead of GPU and is not real-time, but is still multiple times faster than my old method while looking visually very similar. Some volumetric shadow effect is lost, but not really noticeable if you are not looking for it, and the amount of speed up is well worth tradeoff.

Naturally, the implementation is not straightforward and took me almost 3 days to get it working properly. Perhaps I'll post more details under the "making-of" label in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment